Saturday, December 14, 2013

Friday December 13th, 2013

12-13-13.  3 days post-op. 

Something super important in the very beginning of my recovery has been the help of others. It is a pretty helpless feeling hobbling around on crutches all over the place. Small tasks like going to the bathroom or preparing a meal are a large pain in the ass. I've been very lucky that Mandy works part-time and has been able to help me out with making sure I'm comfortable, have my foot elevated, am well fed, am remembering to take my medications etc., My parents live only two miles from here so they have stopped by to help on occasion or help by watching our two children, 2.5 years old and 5 months old. The pain is getting much better and I was able to get out of the house for a few hours to workout and watch our class at CrossFit Binghamton. Earlier in the day while watching TV I did a rehab routine on my right (healthy) leg. I plan to try and keep up with utilizing the routine on both legs as I want no part of rupturing the other achilles, and from my understanding once you rupture one, your likelihood of rupturing the other increases. And plus simply watching TV is too boring for me.


workout:

foam rolling and t-spine, shoulder mobility routine. feel great through here.

A. DB bench press x 15 reps. Rest 2 minutes x 4.    55#/h.  Up from 45#/h last week. Felt good, no forced reps.

B1. Strict Pull-ups  12,12,12,11.     Up from 12,10,9 last week.
B2 Band Pull- Aparts  20 x 4.

C. Seated DB military Press  12 reps x 3 sets.  35#/h.  This was light but I was wobbling all over.

D1 KB Shrugs ---couldn't do standing. will try seated on a bench next time.
D2.  DB hammer curls  x 10 reps.  x 3 sets.  35#/h.  Slow and controlled.

It has been really helpful reading Nathan Holiday's blog  http://nathanholiday.com/?p=388 from ~20 months ago when he had the same injury. I look ahead to see what he was doing to get an idea for how I might feel and what I may be able to do on that day. I'm trying not to look too far ahead but it is encouraging to know he is back and better than before.


Saturday goals :  Upper body, t-spine mobility.  Rehab routine for healthy leg.
Sunday goals:  Upper body, t-spine mobility.  Rehab routine for healthy leg.

1 comment:

  1. You're an inspiration bro. I will be following your recovery closely as I ruptured my left achilles on the 17th and had surgery the evening of the 20th. Stay positive and keep moving forward despite the challenges. Have to think this will only make us stronger and add to our character.

    ReplyDelete