Wednesday, January 15, 2014

5 weeks Post-Op update. January 11th- January 15h 2014

January 15th, 2014

Airdyne --12s @ 95% / 48s @ 50% x 10.   170 calories. ~9 per 12s "sprint." Workout was done in CAM boot so power is a bit dampened due to the clunkiness of the boot.

January 14th - rest.  On feet most of my day between work and coaching. Heel aching, little swollen, not much pain anywhere else.

January 13th
A. built to a moderate 3 in the incline bench while wearing Sling Shot.  185# x3.

B. incline DB bench press.   45# x20 reps x 2 sets.

4 sets:
C1. Supine Ring Rows x 12 reps.  Rest  1 minute
C2. Band Pull Aparts  x 25 reps. Rest 1 minute

D1. DB shrugs x 15 reps.  Rest 1 minute   80#
D2. Supinated Chin-ups x max reps.     In CAM boot  15,12,10

E. Battle Rope -standing 30s rest 2 minutes x 5.


I had a check -up at the doctor's office today. I am now 5 weeks post-op. He has cleared me for partial weight bearing in the boot. He advised to go to full weight bearing in the CAM boot when it feels good. I have pretty much been doing partial weight bearing the past week so I have moved to full weight bearing immediately. It feels fine and there is no pain while walking in the boot. The doctor advised me to stay walking in the boot for 6 weeks and follow-up with him on February 24th. He advised me to wait 1 week and start physical therapy. I plan to start PT on January 22nd. He stated I could walk in shoes in the house in a completely controlled (read:safe) situation.  For example walking down the hallway without a 3 year old dive bombing into my leg, and the hallway free of action figures and various other toys.

 All the research I have done indicates the most frequent time for re-rupture is the next ~7 weeks. Many instances of re-rupture occur when someone pushes it too hard too early or a freak slip or accident generally while in "2 shoes." I feel it will be good to be forced to stay in the boot. I am taking the "take it slow and get it done right the first time approach." I have nothing to rush back for and want this to heal correctly the first time, even if it is a little bit slower. I look forward to starting the PT to get some of the adhesions broken up. It's a thick mess down there right now.

Time line:
December 5th- AT rupture
December 10th- surgery. Put in cast.
December 23rd- first follow up post-op staples removed. cast removed, put in CAM boot. Allowed to shower and slightly stretch.
January 13th- 2nd follow up post-op. given clearance to start partial weight bearing in CAM boot. move to full weight bearing when it feels good. moved to full weight bearing immediately as it was pain free.
January 22nd- will be first PT appt.

January 11th and 12th, rest.  busy weekend and I didn't make time for training.

No comments:

Post a Comment